Sunday 26 April 2020

Do You Love Me?

As you already know, this can properly be the ultimate Sermon I deliver from this pulpit, and could most truly be the closing sermon I provide here in my present day role as Acting Rector of the Church of the Holy Trinity in Dulwich Hill, which may additionally assist give an explanation for why I've taken the unprecedented step of brushing off the scheduled Gospel analyzing for the day!

Yes, a number of you can determine to stroll out (or switch off) at this factor. Who could agree with that I might be any such maverick in this final fling, after thirty years of trustworthy adherence to the commonplace lectionary, however, yes, the internal riot has in the end emerged, and I've given 'doubting Thomas' the flick this 12 months.

Yes, this Sunday, the primary Sunday after Easter, is the Sunday were every yr we are given the studying from the Gospel of John, bankruptcy twenty - the story of 'Doubting Thomas' - and, to be pretty sincere with you, I'm unwell of him.

It's no longer that I dislike the man - virtually. In fact, I experience a actual affection for him, and yet I genuinely do not understand why, in which our readings are typically scheduled in a three-yearly cycle, we get this analyzing, no longer each 3 years however every unmarried 12 months!

I simply don't recognize it. Even the Christmas and Easter readings differ from 12 months to year. Why is the tale approximately Thomas so important?

I can most effective anticipate that Thomas' 'doubting' is something that has been so near the heart of the Christian community over the centuries that we sense a want to keep coming returned to this story over and over, and I'm not certain whether or not that is a great aspect. I'm now not suggesting that doubt is a horrific thing, but is it simply such a key component in the lifestyles of the Christian church that we must maintain readdressing it like clockwork each year presently - a time when you would possibly assume we might be busy proclaiming the resurrection?

Perhaps it's far that vital, and in case you have been searching forward to finding power on your doubts these days, or affirmation of your doubts, now's the time to make a hasty go out (or switch Facebook or YouTube channels, as the case can be) and avail yourself of any number of other church buildings wherein there's a less rebellious priest within the pulpit!

At any charge, as opposed to focusing on the Gospel of John, chapter 20, I've made the unconventional circulate of focusing instead on the following bankruptcy - John, chapter 21, which does not find its way into the lectionary at all this year, so I'm now not stealing everybody else's sermon. This analyzing simply occurs to be a non-public favored, and one that I've determined to be especially useful to me at the moment. It's the passage that deals with the reconciliation between the resurrected Jesus and his high-quality buddy, Peter.

I admire that Jesus doesn't use the time period 'quality friend' as regards to Peter, and some would possibly argue that John (regularly referred to as 'the disciple whom Jesus cherished') should be for the reason that name. Some would possibly even argue that Mary Magdalene or a few others is probably similarly worthy of that identify. Even so, I think the dialogue between Jesus and Peter itself factors to the deep and profound nature of their friendship.

I'm beginning from verse 15 of John chapter twenty-one.

When they had completed consuming, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me greater than those?"

"Yes, Lord," he stated, "you already know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."

16 Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you adore me?"

He answered, "Yes, Lord,  that I love you."

Jesus stated, "Take care of my sheep."

17 The 0.33 time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you adore me?"

Peter became harm because Jesus asked him the 1/3 time, "Do you like me?" He stated, "Lord, you recognize all matters; you realize that I love you."

Jesus stated, "Feed my sheep. 18 Very without a doubt I inform you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you desired; however whilst you are antique you'll stretch out your fingers, and a person else will get dressed you and lead you where you do now not need to move." 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of loss of life with the aid of which Peter might glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!" (John 21:15-19)

We are familiar sufficient, I assume, with the records of the relationship among Jesus and Peter with a view to make full sense of this communicate. Jesus asks Peter 3 times, "do you love me?", and it doesn't break out us, any greater than it'd have escaped Peter, that this three-fold query from Jesus paralleled Peter's three-fold betrayal.

It become simply once they had shared the ultimate supper collectively that Peter had said to Jesus, "Lord, I am geared up to go together with you both to jail and to dying." (Luke 22:33), to which Jesus had replied, "I let you know, Peter, the chicken will now not crow this day, until you deny three times which you understand me." (Luke 22:34)

And certainly, Peter did deny Him:

A slave-woman says, "This guy additionally became with him", however Peter replies, "Woman, I do not recognize him." (Luke 22:57)
A nameless man says, "You also are one among them", but Peter said, "Man, I am no longer." (Luke 22:58)
"Still every other insisted, announcing, "Certainly this man additionally became with him, for he too is a Galilean." But Peter stated, "Man, I do no longer recognise what you are speakme approximately."" (Luke 22:59-50)
That sad story ends with Jesus turning and searching at Peter, and Peter going for walks away and weeping bitterly. (Luke 22:sixty one-62)
We don't know precisely how lengthy the space changed into among Peter's betrayal and this meeting at the seaside in which reconciliation passed off. We recognise that it become at the least ten days, and it could had been considerably longer. We know too that this was by no means the first time Peter had visible Jesus once more after the resurrection.

Often that is the manner reconciliation works. Often it takes time. We want matters to be fixed up speedy and to place the ache of the past at the back of us, but it doesn't always paintings that manner. Genuine reconciliation can take time.

'Do you like me?', Jesus asks Peter? 'Do you adore me?' 'Do you adore me?'

It is massive, I suppose, that it's miles Jesus - the only who became betrayed - who takes the lead in beginning reconciliation. I don't know whether it is able to have worked the other manner around - if Peter were the one to provoke the communique - "Hey, Jesus, I know I betrayed you 3 instances but I need you to realize that I nonetheless love you".

Maybe it could never paintings that way? It's tough to understand. In this case, at any price, Jesus controls the technique, and every act of betrayal is countered with an confirmation of affection - "Yes, I love you", "Yes, I love you", "Yes, Lord. You realize that I love you."

What Jesus stated subsequent, as recorded in John, bankruptcy 21, verse 18, turned into sudden, I think, and it's this verse that virtually drew me to the passage nowadays.

You might have anticipated Jesus to conclude this intimate second of reconciliation with Peter by way of saying something like, "permit's have a hug!", or maybe "have you got any beer?" Instead, Peter receives from Jesus something some distance greater solemn:

"Very truely I tell you, while you were younger you dressed your self and went where you wanted; however whilst you are antique you may stretch out your palms, and a person else will get dressed you and lead you wherein you do not need to go."" (John 21:18)




1 comment: